Objectives of the LaguNet Network
LaguNet was inaugurated during the workshop "Trasporto
dei nutrienti negli ambienti acquatici di transizione lungo le coste
italiane: valutazione dei flussi e delle funzioni dell'ecosistema "
held in Venice 14-15th April 2002, and has the following objectives:
- To provide a forum for discussion and cooperation between researchers
who are studying biogeochemical processes in lagoons, wetlands and salt-
marshes at sites along the Italian coast.
- Evaluate available information and present understanding of the biogeochemistry
of carbon, nitrogen and phosphorous in transitional and coastal waters
under the influence of catchment basins.
- Discuss the feasibility of the application of the LOICZ Biogeochemical
Model to such areas.
- Promote an agreed common approach to studies of biogeochemical processes
in these transitional ecosystems that can provide support to management
or policy applications.
- Consider the feasibility of developing one or more projects either
in Italy or in Europe (with Mediterranean EU partners as well as eventually
from Eastern Europe and North Africa).